Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 29 November 2011

Identifying Target Audience

When making a music video you need to know your target audience so I've decided to use different mediums to gain this knowledge. I will include a poll on my blog, ask a questionnaire which will be featured on my twitter and facebook accounts and I will also hand it out to my friends outside and inside my school.
These are the results from my questionnaire: 

Age
16 - 17
10
18 - 19
7
20 - 21
2
over 22
1
20
Gender
Male
11
Female
9
20
Do you watch music videos
Always
6
Sometimes
13
Rarely
1
Never
0
20
If so how often
day
5
few times a week
8
Week
4
Month
3
20
Where do you watch them
TV
19
iPod
1
Computer
14
34
What do you expect from a slow pop song?
Slow movements
2
Big atmosphere
1
Big voices and emotional
3
Slow dances, crying, big notes
4
Love Story
3
Break Up
1
Catchy Chorus
2
Sad Storyline
2
Rubbish music
1
Nothing don’t listen to them
1
Cheesy
2
Dancing
1
Meaningful lyrics
2
25
Would you expect there to be a storyline or performance?
Storyline
11
Performance
3
Both
5
None
1
20
Who is your favourite female solo artist
Jessie J
7
Adele
3
Katy Perry
2
Christina Aquleria
1
Nelly Furtado
1
Cherly Cole
1
Laura Marling
1
Rihanna
2
Beyonce
2
20
Why do you like their music videos
I relate to it
2
meaningful
1
Very quirky
1
Fit/Sexy
4
Very off the wall
2
Exciting
2
Inventive
1
Powerful
2
Varied
1
Cater to all taste
1
Great voice
1
Good Storyline
3
Emotional
1
22
Do you prefer a dance routine or a more creative music video
Dance
3
Creative
15
Both
2
20

Although I wanted the age range to be 15-25 I believe that the data returned can be generalised to this age group as the people asked were aged 16-23. From this feedback it has shown me that the majority of people that I asked are interested in a creative music video with less of a dance routine, with the females looking quite 'fit or sexy.' People said that they enjoyed a storyline the most and the things they expected most from a slow pop song was big voices, emotional lyrics, slow dances, people crying, big notes and a love story. Fortunately for me this has confirmed for me that my video should be quite a big performance that could be shown on music channels and TV (as that’s where most of them view them) and need to be concentrated on an emotional storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment