Powered By Blogger

Friday 9 March 2012

3. What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Audience feedback has been an important element of my coursework since the first audience questionnaire that I carried out which helped me to determine my target audience. I asked myself several questions that I could ask in a questionnaire to help me to determine who my target audience was; I had a rough idea however I wanted to back this up with evidence although I do know that the data collected may not be representative of all people's opinions. I asked 20 people to fill in the questionnaire I had created, then I blogged about the answers I had received. From this questionnaire, people said that they enjoyed a storyline the most and the things they expected most from a slow pop song was big voices, emotional lyrics, slow dances, people crying, big notes and a love story. I believe that I covered the majority of these areas and I did so due to my initial audience feedback, which therefore proves that it is very useful.
I found that even just by asking class members and friends to comment on my blog posts really helped too, for example when I was struggling to decide what photo should be the basis of my front cover or even what front cover to use, they offered advise and constructive critisism. I felt that this really helped me throughout my coursework as it is not just my ideas that are important but also, they helped me make decisions that I just couldn't make. Even Grace helped me with a few decisions which I took very seriously because she also takes Media Studies at A Level, for example she thought of the shot in the video where her back is to my garden and her arms are raised.

The majority of the audience feedback that I have recieved, however, has been on my music video; I asked the members of my class and many friends to watch my video with me and then tell me or annonymously writing their opinions (I did it this way also so that I could recieve critisisms without people feeling awkward because I know that these are very important as well); people also commented on my blog posts of the video as I went along. For example the video that I posted on YouTube (the pre-final cut) I recieved much audience feedback because I really just wanted to get it finished and to the best that I could. I recieved comments such as, "Maybe have a 3rd jump cut with Bailey" which I used to improve and then followed their advice, comments like, "You have to watch the video many times in order to catch everything so this means that the audience will want to watch it many times (repeatability factor)!" which made me feel really confident and happy with the video and comments like, "Final shot of mad Jessi needed? Definitely too long" which I partially chose to ignore because I know that although audience feedback is really important, at the end of the day it is my music video and I want things a certain way. Therefore I made changes because of the audience feedback however I didn't change everything that people didn't like as I felt that I didn't have to and also because there were many contradicting views with some people liking things that others didn't, for example, "Like the ending - shows that this is the different parts of her."

The last piece of feedback was an interview that I had with Grace who played Jessie J; I asked her how she felt about the production of the video and then the final video in general. The questions that I asked her were:
1. What would you expect to see in a Jessie J music video?
2. How did you feel being in a music video?
3. What did you enjoy and what didn't you really like?
4. Did you think that I needed to include any musical instruments?
5. Would you watch the music video more than once?
6. Would, watching the video make you want to buy the CD? (meant to say digipak)




I found that this was very helpful as she is a 16 year old girl, who is right in the middle age group of my target audience and because she was there throughout the whole experience of the video.

Overall, the feedback I have received throughout the process was very helpful indeed. I have taken into account all of the things people have said that worked well/didn't, and have altered parts of the ancillary texts where I needed to. I think its important that you get other peoples views and opinions on your own work, as they may have different interests/ideas than you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment