Powered By Blogger

Friday 9 December 2011

Other Media Projects

Today have been looking at videos which I like and could take ideas from other Media Coursework.
A2 Media Studies - The Killers - Mr Brightside  
In this music video, I quite like that it is done in black and white as it is something different to look at however I prefer the extravagant colours of the original video. That is the problem which I wanted to avoid; doing a music video for a song that already has one as all people will do will be to compare them to the professional one, seen here. There is a story line yet some scenes that they flick back to a performance which I think works very well; the couple also act quite well together and having on screen chemistry is a must if you're going to pull off any love story. However I don't know if I am actually going to use a male character and if I do he wouldn't appear as much as in this video. The close ups of the instruments work well when there is no lyrics being sung which is an idea that I will use in my coursework. The cuts between each scene work well with the rhythm of the music and each clip seems to follow onto the next regardless of it being out of sequence (which was actually done on purpose) and it works effectively. There is a time when the girl who is acting also performs as she mouths "it was only a kiss" which I think works well. My favourite part is at 2m11s where they kiss in the car and when they part the other man is stood there but when the kiss again he is gone. I think that the costumes for the band members work well; however it doesn't really look that believable in the marriage scene as they look too young to get married. The fact that there is also no-one at the wedding and there being no priest is also unbelievable however they probably worked with what they had and didn't get any other actors which is a weakness yet the last shot, although it is clearly a manikin, is very effective.
A2 Media Rough Cut- Cosmic Love
 
This is my favourite of these 3 pieces of coursework; the cuts between each clip in the beginning work perfectly for the type of music sung. The simple action of running between trees works really well and I like that they reduced the playback speed to have her running in slow motion. At 30s where they have bangs in the music they cut in closer to the character which works really well and her constant eye contact to the camera is also very effective in this style of song. I think that because she has quite a big mouth and is really expressing each word of the song, it really produces a sense of authenticity as though this was a real music video and not just a piece of coursework. I think that each costume change is really strong, especially the small nude coloured dress as they are each very different to one another. The hands and facial motions along with the small dance moves are really simple yet look really good as they coincide with the music perfectly. I particularly like the stretch she does to the music at 1m25s and as the stars appear I think this is a really strong piece of editing as well as filming. I like that they must have filmed each costume change to the same piece of song as the cut between her singing in each costume works really well. The flick of at the end to the high chime ends this video perfectly.

Paloma Faith - Sexy Chick; A2 Media Video
What I like about this video is the first few seconds where she walks over the camera onto the stage, the half glance that she gives the camera as she sings and her delicate hand movements throughout. I like that bobbing that she does to the beat of the music as though she is really feeling the music and her styling works well with the genre and sound of the music and voice. I think her make-up and hair styling is very good however the costume doesn't do as much justice especially as she should have tucked in her bra straps. However I think that I like the song more than the video because I can see quite a few things wrong with it such as the lisp syncing to the lyrics isn't always in time and the fact that it is all performance which I think are two really big downfalls. However I do like the setting of her singing in a club kind of area as this was one of my initial thought if I were to use the other song of Jessie J's "Mama Knows Best". I like the use of props for example her microphone works well with the setting, I like the close up of the piano player as I will use this in my video and the use of smoke towards the end of the video. The camera angles are quite good and I like the lighting as if it were a spotlight on her with some shots facing the bright light.

1 comment:

  1. Good blogging so far Kim. You need a bit more on your treatment sheet but I'm guessing that it's not quite finished. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete